RankandFile.ca is hiring an East Coast Writer/Organizer for a six-month position. The new hire will work closely with our editorial team to both produce new content for the website and develop new contacts, writers, and readers. The new hire will also be expected to produce at least 2 original news stories a month, participate in monthly writers’ meetings, solicit stories from local activists and signup readers to our weekly email list.
We are looking for an individual who is dedicated and hardworking, well organized, and who has an understanding of the labour movement in the Maritimes, Newfoundland and Labrador, and nationally. The successful candidate will be motivated, have a demonstrated ability to manage their limited time, and work independently. The ability to draft news stories in a timely and efficient manner is essential.
The ultimate goal of this position is to help RankandFile.ca grow as an organization.
- Produce at least two labour news stories a month
- Solicit stories from local activists
- Collect emails at actions, public meetings, and other events
- Develop local labour contacts
- Participate in monthly writers’ meeting
- Distribute R&F swag
- Familiarity with unions and the labour movement generally
- Ability to write and research news stories
- Ability to work independently
- Strong time management skills
- Basic understanding of social media platforms and Google file sharing
- An understanding of how class and labour issues intersect with different forms of oppression
- Understanding of CP style (asset)
- Basic understanding of web publishing software WordPress (asset)
This is a 6-month contract with a $1,500 honorarium
RankandFile.ca will consider all applications, but priority will be given to candidates who identify as a member of an equity seeking group.
How to apply:
Please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Feb. 19, 2016 at 5pm AST. Use East Coast Writer/Organizer Position as the email subject line.
The RankandFile.ca editorial team