Briarpatch seeks a skilled and politically committed Editor to jointly oversee the production of a bi-monthly magazine alongside the Publisher. As one of two full-time staff in a horizontal, unionized workplace, the successful candidate will be responsible for core editorial duties (including website and social media management) in addition to assisting the Publisher with promotions, publicity, fundraising, and other organizational tasks. Both staff report directly to a volunteer board of directors.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- an expert command of the English language, with extensive experience in editing, journalism, and/or creative/political writing;
- a firm grasp of anti-capitalist and anti-colonial politics and of social movement organizing;
- a knowledge of and affinity with the publication and its mandate;
- strong leadership skills and the ability to envision and undertake long-term organizational development, such as building the magazine’s readership, maintaining long-term financial viability, and developing editorial content;
- an ability to work independently and the initiative to problem solve in a self-directed manner;
- masterful organization and time-management skills, including the ability to prioritize and tackle a wide array of tasks varying in urgency and importance;
- exceptional communication skills and the ability to work cooperatively;
- a socially minded entrepreneurial spirit;
- a willingness to learn.
Candidates should have experience with and/or a passion to develop further competency in the following areas:
- familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign and Photoshop) and Microsoft Office (Word and Excel);
- proficiency in graphic design;
- experience with web content management;
- experience in administering a non-profit organization and/or periodical;
This position requires that the successful applicant relocate to Regina, Saskatchewan, which is a great place to live. (We can provide references to that effect.)
Briarpatch encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds and members of equity-seeking groups.
Your application should include the following:
2. Cover letter
3. Writing sample
Please email applications to givemeajob AT briarpatchmagazine.com by June 15. Only those candidates shortlisted for an interview will be contacted. Late applications will not be considered.
The start date for this position will be September 1st or earlier (depending on the availability of the successful candidate). Download our Hiring FAQ sheet here (PDF) for more information.