Rankandfile.ca is looking for writers, contributors, and people willing to help promote our website.
Rankandfile.ca is a Canadian labour media project launched by union activists in early 2012. We publish original, researched news reports and analysis of major labour issues. Some recent examples include the battle against Bill 1 in Nova Scotia by healthcare workers, stories of sexism in the workplace, the 16-month long and still ongoing Crown Holdings strike, and the organizing successes of baristas in Halifax. Rankandfile.ca also publishes statements by union members who seek to promote alternative viewpoints regarding ratification votes, union strategy, and union elections. We publish such documents in the interest of fostering democratic debate within unions.
Provide readers with relevant and informative labour news and analysis from Canada and around the world.
Help build solidarity with workers in struggle
Develop a coherent analysis of the labour movement
- Help build and connect a network of rank and file trade union activists
The labour movement and our unions have to be democratic and membership-driven.
The interests of the labour movement cannot be separated from the interest of the poor and the oppressed.
- The labour movement exists to change society; to defend and advance greater political and economic rights and democracy.
How you can contribute
- We need writers! We want to increase the perspectives and diversify the voices at Rankandfile.ca. We are seeking reports or analysis about the Canadian labour movement. We welcome contributions from new and inexperienced writers and our editors will provide editorial assistance when requested. Articles should be approximately 750 words (but we will accept shorter or longer pieces).
- We also encourage aspiring journalists to send us photos, video or audio from strikes, lockouts, labour conventions, and other events with a brief summary.
- We also need to spread the word about Rankandfile.ca with unions and their members. Please promote us on Twitter @rankandfileca and Facebook. From time to time we will be producing flyers that can be handed out at events, meetings, rallies and picket lines.
Reach us at: firstname.lastname@example.org