Position: National Representative
Unifor is seeking a National Representative to work out of the Research Department in the National Office in Toronto. We are looking for a dedicated and experienced individual to join our team in advancing the goals of Unifor, defending and expanding the rights of our members, and working to achieve economic and social justice.
Working closely with the union’s Officers, Staff and Local Union leadership in a fast-paced environment, Unifor researchers support collective bargaining, policy development, government relations and strategic campaigns.
Primary responsibilities include researching, preparing and presenting briefs, research and policy reports on a wide range of subjects, including: sector analysis, corporate financial analysis, collective bargaining trends and outcomes, labour market performance, international trade, and fiscal and social policy issues.
- Graduate-level university degree in industrial relations, political science, economics or a closely related discipline.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice.
- Demonstrated ability to research and prepare briefs, research and policy reports on a wide range of subjects, including: sector analysis, corporate financial analysis, collective bargaining trends and outcomes, labour market performance, international trade, and fiscal and social policy issues.
- Thorough knowledge of collective bargaining and labour relations.
- Previous experience with applied research in a trade union, government or advocacy environment.
- Ability to perform advanced quantitative and financial analysis.
- Excellent writing skills and an an ability to communicate analysis and issues clearly to a range of audiences, including union activists, public officials and policy-makers, the social policy community and media.
- Ability to work in both official languages would be an asset.
The position is located in the Unifor National Office in Toronto. Frequent travel is required. This is a full-time permanent position following the successful completion of a six-month temporary period.Excellent salary and benefits are set under collective agreement.
Please submit a cover letter and resume by September 26, 2014 to Bill Murnighan, Director of Research, c/o Kristina.Williams@unifor.org. No phone calls please. We thank all applicants in advance; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Unifor is the largest union in the private sector, with 305,000 members working in several sectors of the economy. For further information on the union visit our website: www.unifor.org.
(This job posting can also be found here: Link)